Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The All-Purpose Balsamic Vinaigrette

My very first " invented all on my own" recipe was nothing big- it was simple vinaigette. Years ago I was the type of cook who thought she had to follow given recipes in order to cook. I guess I didn't have the confidence to invent something on my own. Well, it was back in the day when I first moved to Nashville and had lots of free time during the summers that I began working on this recipe. My husband and I had been to TGI Friday's and they had this wonderful basalmic syrup they drizzled over some bread as an appetizer. I was determined to make this syrup. I wasn't so good at it - it needed something so I added olive oil. I thought, oh wow, this would make a good topper for salads.



Some time later I had cut some warm chicken breast in with my romaine salad- the vinaigrette was too cold! I heated it up- yummy. The mix of romaine, parmesan, warm grilled chicken and a warm dressing was true comfort food. I soon began experimenting with seasoning and extras to add to the dressing. Over the course of a few years, the following is the result:



1/2 cup aged balsamic vinegar

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium shallot, diced

2 tsp ( or to taste) sea salt

freshly ground pepper to taste

2 tsp tarragon, dried or fresh

2 packets of splenda or 2 tsps sugar



Saute shallot in olive oil until lightly brown. Remove from heat and slowly add balsamic vinegar. Add remaining ingredients and simmer with cover barely off. I let mine simmer for 5-10 minutes and then adjust for taste.



I use this dressing for all salads, including my Greek orzo pasta salad ( to be published in an upcoming blog), and as a marinade for my steaks and chicken breasts to be grilled. I also like to drizzle some onto my grilled chicken breasts.



The Chemistry: All vinegars contain acetic acid, which gives that wonderful tang. Balance that tang with olive oil for depth and a sugar ( honey, white sugar or splenda ) for sweetness. I like my dressing to be less oily but also more sweet than tangy so I sometimes use less oil and reduce it down quite a bit on the stove top. Aged Balsamic Vinegar has a lot more depth since it sits a lot longer before being bottled. Flavored vinegar-based dressings make nice marinades but the acetic acid will break up the proteins in the meats, making it more tender.



I hope you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment